Monday, January 17, 2011

Post 8, Question H: Religon and Oppresion

I found the film “Divided we Fall” to be an interesting look at the problems in religious oppression in the wake of 9/11.

In the documentary Valarie Kaur a college age girl of Sikh descent travels the US shortly after 9/11 to interview those whose lives have been effected by the recent surge in Anti-Muslim (and anyone who looked Muslim) due to peoples frustration with the attackers of 9/11.

One of the themes of the film is that much of the hate is misdirected at Sikhs, due to the fact that there cultural dress is similar to that of the (often times stereotypical) Muslims. While Valarie made some very good points in the film, I was frustrated at her lack of attention to hate crimes targeted at real Muslim people. While she did mention some in passing, I noticed that much of her effort was focused on separating Sikhs and Muslim, asserting that Sikhs do not deserve the oppression that they were receiving, and they were being mistaken as Muslim. I think she could of made the point that NO ONE deserves to be mislabeled as a terrorist and mistreated, whether they be Sikh, Muslim, Hindu, or any other ethnic group.

Valaires work shows us that while many Americans will assert that religious freedom Is one of the things that make this nation great, what is practiced and what is preached are two different things. A couple of brothers (who claimed to be Christan) in the film were show as being ignorant of the Sikhs religion, and trying to instigate Valarie and her cousin into a discussion. I myself have meet many people like these brothers, and am sadden that continuing ignorance of the Muslim faith has caused people to believe what ever the mass media tells them. I am willing to bet most people are not aware the “God” in the Muslim faith is actually the same “God” (with Muhammad as his prophet) as in the Christian and Muslim faiths (these three are commonly refer to as the “Abrahamic religions”) Muslims scriptures even mentions Jesus as one of the important prophets. I think these faiths should releize that they have more in common, then in difference.

Although I myself am not religious (I reject religious faith on scientific grounds, but believe it plays an important part in moral and social well being) I believe everyone has a right to follow their own belief system. I do think one of the things we can do to foster understanding is to teach children more about the religions of others. At the same time I would also hope that we can show children that it is OK not to believe in these faiths, and encourage them to think for them selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment