Sunday, January 23, 2011

Post 12, Question L: Ableism

When I was first watching the short clip Gimp I was confused on what it had to do with disability it that closely. All I saw were a bunch of interpretive dancers doing a performance. It wasn't til the very end that I did a double take and realized that a few of the dancer had missing limbs, which made me watch it over again.

I think this performance helps to show how disabled people are capable of extraordinary things. It should be used as a platform for educating people about disability. After all able-ism it self is another form these "socially constructed" forms of oppression. By not wanting to recognize that people who may have physical or mental disabilities may need assistance (small or large) we treat disabled people as second class citizens and relegate them to a life of poverty and continued dependence.

No comments:

Post a Comment