Monday, January 17, 2011

Post 7, Question G: Classism in America

Growing up I have always had a interesting relationship with the issues of classism in America. As a child I lived in a middle class neighborhood, however my family never had a lot of money. I always remember being the “poor kid” whose parents couldn’t afford the coolest cloths, toys, etc. I remember when I was a kid I often got excited when we were able to get or do “rich people” things. What were “rich people” things? Come to find out what I thought “rich people” things where not really that “rich”. Rich people things Name brand food and cloths (Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes instead of Market Basket Brand and Adidas), going to restaurants (like Burger King), and buying any appliance or piece of electronics brand new (we usually got hand me downs and fixed them up, that is how I got into computers).

This (among other things) led me to face social ostracizationthough most of my childhood. Some years were better then others, and I think I was able to get though it (though I would wish it on no one). I think the biggest thing that I gained from it was a distancing of myself and the “consumer culture” they talk about in some of the films. When I go to the store I have a hard time choosing what to buy, because I actually think about what I am buying and don’t just look at the brand, I don’t wear fancy cloths, and I don’t buy expensive things.

The question I know face is how I see my self now. After watching “People like Us” I can safely say I am not like most of the rich in that film. Although I can also safetly say I am not like most of the poor people portrayed in the other films. I often get frustrated at others around me in college who live off there parents while I have to work a full time job to make ends meet. What ends do I have to make meet? How do I do it? I am a educated college student, with a $13/hour desk job (in my field of study, great on resumes). I have a car payment and I pay all of my college/room/ and board that isn’t covered by financial aid. I am (usually) very frugal when it comes to buying things. I am not out skiing (I never learned, never had a reason to), or visiting some part of the world were it is warmer. I am stuck in Durham, NH during winter break working.

Will it get better? Yes. Assuming I graduate (I am a 5th year senior studying computer science) I can look at getting a job paying $60,000-$70,000 starting pay (take that liberal arts majors ;) ). Will this make me middle class? Will this make me upper class? We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment